Sunday, June 12, 2011

Summer Reading pt. 1

This isn't really an in-depth, thought-provoking blog post, but hey, we all need something a little light once in a while, right? Anyways, one of my favorite things about summer is, obviously, SUMMER READING! I love to read, and while I still read a lot during the school year, when I'm not reading for school I usually stick to old favorites and easy reads so I can get through them quickly and it's okay if I can't finish because of time constraints. So, summer means it's time for me to go crazy with my reading list, and this year will be especially so, since it'll be the first summer of my 100 Greatest Novels reading challenge (side note, if you're interested in that, check out my other blog, ashleyandauthors.blogspot.com ) So, I thought it'd be nice just to have an ongoing list of what I've read this summer, maybe with some comments or whatnot. If you have any recommendations for reading they're always appreciated!

Summer Reading List 2011

1. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
2. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
3. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins



Okay, so, these three books were so worth the hype. I'm not sure how I feel about the movie coming out, but I RACED through these books. I could not put down my Kindle (it was a grad present from my grandparents and these were the first books I read on it). So amazing. I love anything with good character development or strong characters in general, and that was definitely the case with this trilogy. Also, I have a soft spot for dystopian settings...something about how people react when there's little ot no hope really interests me. So, if you're looking for a summer book, READ THESE!

4. World without End by Ken Follett



This book is the sequel to Pillars of the Earth, which I loved, but I was hesitant to read it because it's set years after Pillars and doesn't use the same characters. Still, I decided to try it and I'm glad I did. It was great and engrossing, and as usual the history aspects of Follett's writing are really interesting, as well as the religious and political aspects. His books are a bit emotionally trying to read, though, because nothing EVER works out for the 'good' characters until the very very end. Still, a good read.

5. The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner



Ugh, this book. It was torture. It was the first book on my list of 100 Novels and let's just say I'm not a fan of Faulkner's writing style, which is a bit worrying since I think he has two more novels on the list. Oye vey.

6. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card



I cannot believe it took me eight years from first hearing about this book to finally read it. It was engrossing and I read it in about a day (admittedly, it is written for children and rather short, but still). Once again, character development. Dystopia. So good. And I love a book that makes you think without beating you over the head with obscure concepts.

7. The Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters



Okay, so...the Amelia Peabody series is my guilty pleasure. They're mystery novels and set in Victorian times, with Egyptologists, so I can hardly help myself. I bought a few for fifty cents at the library sale, so I'm rereading them. They're fluff...but hey, it's summer, so it's allowed.

I feel like I'm missing a book or two, but I'm going to let it be since I'll be updating this list throughout the summer. So, until then, happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment