Thursday, July 7, 2011

Summer Reading Pt. 2

I have been horrible at blogging this summer, and it's not that I'm super busy or don't have things to blog about...I guess I'm just a bit lazy, or something. Anyways, while I haven't been blogging, I have been reading! Here's what I've read since my last summer reading post.

8. The Deeds of the Disturber by Elizabeth Peters
9. The Golden One by Elizabeth Peters



I got five of these books at the library sale and I'm sorry, but they're some of my favorite summer books to read. I mean..Victorian era? Egypt? Archaeology? These books are so me.

10. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien



This was the book I was forgetting from the last entry! I fell in love with the Lord of the Rings trilogy when I first read it about nine years ago, though I didn't read the Hobbit until a little while after that. While I enjoy The Hobbit, it has no where near the place in my heart that Lord of the Rings does. Still, in honor of the movie coming out (in December 2012, how shall I wait?!?) I decided it was time for me to finally own and reread this book. It didn't disappoint at all and it was a nice enjoyable read, as usual.

11. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte



For graduating with my BA in English a few months ago, and loving reading since I was very very young, I have huge glaring gaps in my classical literature knowledge. I had never read Wuthering Heights before, and didn't much want to...I still remembered struggled through Jane Eyre the first time, and I felt the Bronte sisters just weren't for me. Plus, I basically knew the story, and as someone who is very driven by characters, the idea of a whole novel with no real redeeming characters was a bit off-putting. Still, my Little Audrey was reading it this summer so I decided to read it with her. I'm glad that I did, though I can't say that it is anywhere near my favorites list.

12. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
13. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
14. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling
15. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
16. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
17. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
18. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling



So...the last Harry Potter movie is coming out in a week, if you'd been living under a rock and were somehow unaware of this fact! Harry Potter has pretty much been my childhood, adolescence, young adulthood...everything. I'm going to write a very long post about this next week, so I'm not going to talk about it here, but I felt that at the end, I had to go back to the beginning, and remember why I really love this series...the story. Reading these books now, as a 22-year-old college graduate is so different from reading them as the 10-year-old lying on the bare carpet in a new house, but the world that Rowling creates engrosses me just the same. Reading the first four was like greeting old friends...I knew many passages by heart, and even the creases and stains on the pages have stories to tell. My Prisoner of Azkaban is especially guilty of this; not only are the pages falling off the binding because I read it so many times, it has pages gnawed by an escaped hamster, aptly enough, named Scabbers (and no, I am so not making this up). It's been an emotional and exciting experience, and I'm sure that watching the film next week is going to be highly emotional for many fans, me not the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment